© 2011 mrsfabian

10 HW: Reaching Out pg. 16-26 Question/Reply with Post Its

Homework due Monday 9/25 Read pg. 16 through 26, Moving Inwriting a post it note on each page.  Remember to try to use all 5 categories of a post it note, (see previous assignment for more details).

In this homework assignment we are going to practice question post its. To get credit you can either post a question (from your post its) , or you can reply to a posted question that another student already wrote below, but a reply must have a page number and a quote in the answer.  To reply, just find another student’s question below and hit the reply button.

Remember your format- put the page number first– then write your question, like this: 

Example: pg. 21, My question:  Is Francisco judgmental?

Example Reply:  He could be. On pg 23 he states he “…was shocked to see so much food left on students’ plates and then thrown away. At home we never wasted food.” He does not call the other students spoiled or wasteful, he states it like a fact. But I still get the feeling he is judging them as a little spoiled.

Comments should be spelled correctly, with correct punctuation and grammar, to the best of your ability.  This is not a text message, please.

Finally, you can see tonight’s instructional video here.  Be sure to watch it BEFORE you do your homework.

Very Important Video

39 Comments

1. angelayu
    Posted September 22, 2011 at 8:47 PM | #

On page 25, it said “…the plants became infested with blight, so the land owner had a chemical company fumigate them. The company used chemicals that were too strong; they killed the plants.” and Smokey explained “He was a security consultant, but also a rancher and farmer until the Depression.”
    My Question: Did the chemicals had anything to do with the cause of the “depression”? What happened during the depression?

2. heatherlacerda
    Posted September 22, 2011 at 10:45 PM | #

Answer to Riddle: Is it corn?

• mrsfabian
      Posted September 23, 2011 at 1:18 AM | #

Heather, very clever. It is corn. Amira’s answer works too- chicken. Enjoy the night off. (Although I would read so you aren’t confused later).

3. amiraamar
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 12:29 AM | #

On page 3, it say’s “He’ll be back for Thanksgiving.-Being separated from my brother was painful as yanking out a fingernail.”,reading that I made a connection with the author. That’s exactly how I felt when my younger sister and I had to be split up. It was really hard but it all paid of in the end, just like it will for Panchetto and his brother. Hell go to collage and provide a lot for his family …sort of what my mother did for my sister and I.

4. amiraamar
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 1:03 AM | #

The answer to your riddle is a chicken!!!

• mrsfabian
      Posted September 23, 2011 at 1:17 AM | #

Nice job Amira. I was thinking of a different answer but your answer really works! I wonder how many answers there really are? You have the night off of this homework assignment (but I would still read so you don’t get lost).

5. amandalawrence
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 1:16 AM | #

on page 24..”As a child my father often warnded me against telling the truth about where we were born becuase we crossed th U.S-Mexican border illegally.” …
    question: Why is he still scared to say where he is really from when he already came back leagally?

• joselinecerna
      Posted September 26, 2011 at 2:08 AM | #

I agree with you but eventhough he came back llegaly I think he’s scared of being judged by saying where he comes from and maybe also knowing that some of his family may still be illegal.. This is what I personally think

• joselinecerna
        Posted September 26, 2011 at 8:58 PM | #

I agree with Amanda Lawrence. On page 24 Francisco says “and eventhough I now had my green card and felt bad and uncomfortable about not telling the truth, lying about my birthplace had become ingrained in me”..this quote makes me infer that he is scared not only for what others may say but to safe his other family members that may still be illegal.

6. jennyvelasquez18
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 5:25 PM | #

on page 22..”on fridays and saturdays, you can stay out until one a.m. I will be checking rooms periodically to make sure you follow these rules.”
    now my quetin is that Francisco does not mind the rules,but would he follow thm just for the fact that he is friends with Smokey? (I asked this question because to me there is something that does’nt conveince me about Smokey… is just something about him that i think he is going to be a bad influence to Francisco.)

7. franchescareynoso
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 12:01 AM | #

On page 19, Why Smokey didn’t felt sad when he said goodbye to his mother and girl friend?

• franchescareynoso
      Posted September 25, 2011 at 12:17 AM | #

On page 19, ” After we hauled Smokey,s things into the room, his mom and girlfriend said goodbye and drove away. I was surprised to see how calm and happy Smokey appeared to be as we walked back to the room”
      My question is: Why Smokey didn’t felt sad when he said goodbye to his mother and girlfriend?

• mrsfabian
        Posted September 26, 2011 at 4:31 PM | #

Thanks for adding your evidence, Franchesca.

8. valeriecolon19
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 6:44 PM | #

On page 16 I had a question, “The image of my family driving away kept flashing in my mind. I sat on the bed, staring at the empty wall and fighting back the urge to cry. I have to be tough, I thought. This is the opportunity I worked so hard for. ” So does Francisco that by crying he isn’t being tough ?

• jacquelinepineda
      Posted September 25, 2011 at 11:54 PM | #

No he doesnt think that he just doesnt want to allow the thoughts to get to him and let him be more sad and upset then what he already is .

• mrsfabian
        Posted September 26, 2011 at 1:03 AM | #

Remember: To get credit you can either post a question (from your post its) , or you can reply to a posted question that is already below, but a reply must have a page number and a quote in the answer.

• jacquelinepineda
          Posted September 26, 2011 at 3:35 PM | #

On page 16 . “I have to be tough, i thought. This is the opportunity i worked so hard for” Francisco doesnt think that hes not though he just doesnt want to allow the thoughts of his family leaving to bring him down because like he said he has been waiting for this oppurtunity and he worked very hard for it,and crying will only bring him more down.

• mrsfabian
            Posted September 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM | #

Thank you, Jacky, for adding the quote.

9. valeriecolon19
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 6:46 PM | #

Think*

10. Peter Le
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 11:59 PM | #

Pg. 13 – Vocabulary : What does the word retaliate mean?
    “…realizing that they would retaliate if i let up for but a second, i fought to lay them low, to knock them cold, to kill them so they could now strike back at me.”

11. Peter Le
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:12 AM | #

pg 18*

12. mrsfabian
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 1:07 AM | #

I love how the tenth grade is kicking the ninth grade’s booty on referencing WITH A QUOTE what you say. You guys RULE.

13. evelynmartinez
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 1:55 AM | #

Page 26 : ” I had a hard time falling asleep, thinking about my family. Was it right for me to be here at college while they struggled to make ends meet at home?. The more I thought about it, the more confused I became.”
    My question: why does francisco feel guilty about leaving his family ?By him being in college is already helping them a lot ’cause once he graduates he can get an even better job that can support him and his family even more.

• cledisvilorio
      Posted September 27, 2011 at 12:09 AM | #

I agree with evelynmartinez and ithink he feels guilty because after his older brother left he was the one that was helping the family back in pg.9 “you’re going too fast,slow down ,panchito!”my father exclaimed,pressing his right foot against the floorboard “iwas so absorbed in my thoughts that i did not notice iwas speeding” This shows that when franciscos dad coulnt drive anymore he would help him out. Also that his dad needed his help in things he coulnt do cause of his backproblems & francisco feels guilty cause he cant do that anymore now that his in college

14. brianmadrigal
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 2:34 AM | #

On page 23, in the first paragraph it says ”The food was plentiful, and, as a habit i ate everything we were served-and was shocked to see so much food left on students’ plates and then thrown away”
    My question is, why do people take things for granted?”

• mrsfabian
      Posted September 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM | #

Interesting Brian, as luck would have it, your quote might help Evelyn’s question- although you used it differently. Can you see a way your quote might lead to an answer for her?

• brianmadrigal
        Posted September 26, 2011 at 6:05 PM | #

In my quote, Francisco says ”as a habit” so to evelyns question this might be the answer to why he feels guilty to leave his family. He is used to being with them all the time helping them, so to go to college and moving away from them must have hurt him even though in the long run he is helping them alot.

• mrsfabian
          Posted September 26, 2011 at 10:36 PM | #

Ooooohhhh even more interesting! I hadn’t noticed that. Very clever of you. I was just hung up on how he was eating so much- I thought that might make him feel guilty that they are hungry. But I like your idea better.

15. evelynmoran
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 10:59 PM | #

On pg. #25 it says ” From that day on, my father’s spirit began to die too. And when he could no longer work in the fields because of his back, he becomes worse ” We must be cursed,”
    my question: what did he exactly meant by when he said “his father’s spirit die too? just becuase he is unable to work doents mean he is going to die..

16. dimarisromero
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 11:40 PM | #

Apparently, its going to be really hard for Fransisco to not think of home. He relates everything in college to his life at home. For instance ; “I did not mind the regulations because my father was much more demanding. He allowed Roberto and me to be home by midnight …”page-22. Also ; ” At home we never wasted food. ” page-23 . Throughout the novel, i believe Francisco would become a stronger and much more independent man. He will learn how to continue life wihtout thinking so much of his rules at home .

17. taniafigueroa
    Posted September 27, 2011 at 12:30 AM | #

On pg.20 i have a question it says “i wanted to be alone, but Smokey insisted on meeting our next-door neighbors and making new friends.” and also later on in the same page it says “Smokey’s energetic personality attracted students to our room like a magnet.” so i understand that he wants to make new friends but why couldt he just wait and rest & also is he the type of person who likes attention ?

18. michaelregalado
    Posted September 27, 2011 at 1:15 AM | #

On pg.26 he says “Im glad we’re roomates”
    question: does he trust him fully to tell him his whole life story about himself? Because he told smokey what his mother and father did for a living but does he trust him enough to tell him his personal life?

19. manuellazo
    Posted September 27, 2011 at 1:19 AM | #

page #20, Question: Why are they forcing him to drink? I know he was peaking but i dont see the reasonable reason why they made him drink.

20. bryanvasquez
    Posted September 27, 2011 at 11:31 PM | #

on pg.24 it said “I’m Mexican. But i was born in colton, california.. My question is: If he born in california why he and his family was deportee to Mexico…

21. oscargarcia4
    Posted October 18, 2011 at 11:37 PM | #

On Page 23 Francisco says “During rainy winters in Corcoran, when my parents went days without field work, we had to look for food in the trash behind grocery stores.” my comment about this is that the parents should have tried there best to be able to work or find a different place to work at its just wrong that having not able to work will lead to not able to support there family with food but instead it leads them looking for pieces of food of the trash to make soup.

• oscargarcia4
      Posted October 18, 2011 at 11:40 PM | #

Why werent they able to work in the fields?

22. walterlemus
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 10:26 PM | #

in page. 24 -Vocabulary: What does the word sharecropper mean? ” A japanese sharecropper , while trying to take care of three acres of strawberries that had been parceled out to him by the owner of the land.”

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Skip to toolbar