© 2011 mrsfabian

9 HW: Black Boy pg 17-35 Question/Reply with Post Its

Homework due Monday 9/25 Read pg. 17 to 35, writing a post it note on each page.  Remember to try to use all 5 categories of a post it note, (see previous assignment for more details).

In today’s homework assignment we are going to practice question post its. To get credit you can either post a question (from your post its) , or you can reply to a posted question that is already below, but a reply must have a page number and a quote in the answer.  To reply just find a question before you and below that hit the reply button.

Remember your format- put the page number first- then write your question, like this:

Example: pg. 21, My question:  Is Richard really becoming a 6 year old alcoholic?

Example Reply:  He might have been briefly addicted to alcohol, because the author states on pg. 22, “Finally she placed me and my brother in the keeping of an old black woman who watched me every moment to keep me from running to the doors of the saloons to beg for whisky. The craving for alcohol finally left me and I forgot the taste of it.”  It almost sounds like he had withdrawal but his body got over it.”

Finally, you can see tonight’s instructional video here.  Be sure to watch BEFORE you do your homework.

Very Important Video

71 Comments

1. Kelsey Gregor
    Posted September 22, 2011 at 3:31 PM | #

Pg 19. My question&Judgement: I think it is wrong of their mother not to fed them. She works in a kitchen and they have to stand in a corner watching other people eat. If I ever see a kid doing that, I would give them my plate. My question is, why can’t Richard’s mother give them atleast a plate?

• brittanybrancato
      Posted September 23, 2011 at 11:02 PM | #

I think she can’t give him a plate because she doesn’t control how much food there is. The white people biy it, not her. And she can’t give aeay food that she didn’t pay for.

• mrsfabian
        Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:53 AM | #

Reminder: To get credit you can either post a question (from your post its) , or you can reply to a posted question that is already below, but a reply must have a page number and a quote in the answer.

• denisstranjina
      Posted September 25, 2011 at 8:08 PM | #

she is only there to make the food, she is not supposed to eat it because she never payed for it

• mrsfabian
        Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:54 AM | #

Denis, remember: To get credit you can either post a question (from your post its) , or you can reply to a posted question that is already below, but a reply must have a page number and a quote in the answer.

2. jasminelemus
    Posted September 22, 2011 at 3:33 PM | #

page 20: My Question: Since richard knows smoking and drinking is bad, why didn’t he fight back to say no to the drink they were offering him, just like how he did to the cegar, when they tried to put it in his mouth ?

• Nguyen Nhi
      Posted September 24, 2011 at 12:39 AM | #

I think it’s because all the people was pressuring him and he most likely feel like he had no choice but to drink it or else they won’t let him go.

• mrsfabian
        Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:55 AM | #

Nguyen, To get credit you can either post a question (from your post its) , or you can reply to a posted question that is already below, but a reply must have a page number and a quote in the answer.

• mrsfabian

Sorry, I meant Nhi. Nhi, let’s flip your name in your profile.

• erikfaiella
        Posted September 26, 2011 at 1:57 AM | #

I disagree with Nhi I think he did it because he was gullible and curious like most young children are

• yasminlandaverde
      Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:39 AM | #

I also agree with you jasmine && Nhi , but I also think he drank because he wanted the money for food or something his family needed .

• shabnamalimi
      Posted September 26, 2011 at 10:28 PM | #

He didn’t fight bacK because he was urged by the others to drink and they were all pushing him to drink it so he had to, even though he said no to them. There didn’t seem to be a way out so he drank. It shows this on page 20, “- a black man caught hold of my arm and dragged me into its smoky and noisy depths.The odor of alcohol stung my nostrils. I yelled and struggled, trying to break free of him, afraid of the staring crowd of men and women, but he would not let me go.” This shows how he is being forced against his will to drink.

• yefersonherrera
      Posted September 27, 2011 at 10:43 AM | #

I agree with jasmine because on that same page it says he denied the cigar. If he denied one thing why cant he deny two! I think he is a kid who needs to learn a lesson! At the botton of the page it says “I took a sip. I took another sip. Then another.” i think he just wanted to do it because he kept taking sips without the men aking him to take more sips.

3. ericmoscoso
    Posted September 22, 2011 at 7:53 PM | #

I agree with jasmine. Why didn’t he fight back to say no when he knew that drinking and smoking is bad?

• mrsfabian
      Posted September 23, 2011 at 2:00 AM | #

Ahhhh Eric go back to the directions! This is a different plan. You are either asking or answering with a quote.

• mrsfabian
        Posted September 23, 2011 at 2:01 AM | #

But thanks for starting early- I’m proud of you. Just re-read 🙂

4. denisseviera
    Posted September 22, 2011 at 8:47 PM | #

Page:22 Question , So Richard wants to learn about reading and numbers so my question is how come Richard hasn’t gone to school, but all the kids around his neighborhood do ?

5. kevinatehortua
    Posted September 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM | #

Page 27: Question: Why would Richard’s father just stand there in the court room just smiling and looking at Richard’s mom, Richard and his little brother does he not know all the damage and depression he has caused to his family? Does he have no simpethy towards them for leaving them with no money or food?

6. juanlandaverde
    Posted September 22, 2011 at 10:29 PM | #

So the reading homework of pages 17-35 is due monday ?

• mrsfabian

Yes- due Monday 🙂

7. mrsfabian
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 2:02 AM | #

Has no one watched the Very Important Video yet?

• Nguyen Nhi
      Posted September 24, 2011 at 12:03 AM | #

IT’S AVOCADO !!! Thought about it for 10 minute!Hope I got it corrected?

• Nguyen Nhi
        Posted September 24, 2011 at 12:06 AM | #

Or is it corn? Cause that works too.

• mrsfabian
        Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:57 AM | #

Nhi, another good answer! I’ll take advocado as well. Enjoy the night off- but read so you aren’t lost.

• emanuelandrade
      Posted September 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM | #

its corn on the cob you trow away the outside (which is the leaf) to cook the inside(the corn) then eat the outside(which is the corn because you threw away the leaf) and throw away the inside (the hard part) there i explained it

• mrsfabian

Well done Manny, enjoy the night off (but read so you are ready for class)

• emanuelandrade
          Posted September 26, 2011 at 2:58 AM | #

Im not going to be there tomorow taking my wisdome theet out

8. jessicapalma
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 3:33 AM | #

Page 20 Question: Why would they make a little boy drink by force, when he was inly curious about what was inside the Saloon, like any other young boy/girl would?

• amandabourbonais
      Posted September 25, 2011 at 9:51 PM | #

I agree. They shouldnt’ve made Richard drink and i hate how he eventually became a drunk. But my question is why did they get upset over him looking in? He just wanted to know what was in the Saloon.

9. xianalee
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 1:08 PM | #

On page 7-8, the author talks about the main character suffering from some sort of dementia and sickness. Was he traumatized about the fire?

10. Nguyen Nhi
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 1:27 AM | #

Pg#23 Category-Question: I wonder was it best for Richard to find out right now about how “white”people have the upper hand than the “Black” people. On that page it might not mean what I have asked but to me that’s what I got out of that page. If I did read it incorrectly can someone explain to me what did Richard meant to say in that page?

11. williambonilla
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 6:54 PM | #

Page 20, I can’t believe Richard actually drank when he was forced to drink by the older men and woman and left drunk. At the age of 6. It says “One summer afternoon-in my sixth year”

12. williambonilla
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 7:06 PM | #

pg. 21/22. My question: How long did it take Richard to stop his craving for alcohol? How long did it take him to realize it was an actual obsession to him?

13. katrinacruz
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 10:23 PM | #

I think it’s chicken!!!, first you take off or throw away the skin, then you eat the inside of the chicken, then you go back to eat the skin, and throw away the bone or bones.

• katrinacruz
      Posted September 24, 2011 at 11:18 PM | #

pg#: 23 Category: connection My Post It referred to the quote:”i had seen white men andd women upon the streets a thousand times, but they had never looked particularly white”. My comment was: I didn’t look at people by their skin color or race because i didn’t know what it was, when i was younger. I just knew if they were a boy or girl.

• mrsfabian
      Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:59 AM | #

I’ll take this answer too Katrina! Enjoy the night off (but do the reading so you don’t fall behind)

14. emanuelandrade
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 12:46 AM | #

Pg 18,category question: my question is why did the mom leave the kid outside when the kids will beat him. Is she taking this alittle to far

15. theresabuenrostro
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 2:48 AM | #

Pg: 29, Category: Question: “She found an orphan home that agreed to assume the guidance of me and my brother provided my mother worked and made small payments. My mother hated to be separated from us, but she has no choice.” Does this mean that Richard and his brother are now orphans?

• ashlypaquin
      Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:15 AM | #

Theresa , an orphan is when both your parents are dead . On page 28 it says ” Finally , we could no longer pay th rent of our dingy flat; the few dollors granny have left us before she went home were gone. half sick and dipair, my mother made rounds of the charitable institution, seeking help. She found an orphan home that agreed to assume the guidence of me and my brother….”

• theresabuenrostro
        Posted September 26, 2011 at 1:08 AM | #

Well, they are living in an orphanage. So did their mom give them up? Or did she give them up for a certain period of time until she is stable again?

16. arjanaelewis
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 2:58 PM | #

Pg. 23 – Vocabulary: What does the word nuisance mean?
    “I soon made myself a nuisance by asking far too many questions of everybody.”

17. denizpleitez
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 4:20 PM | #

on page:24 My question out of all the times Richard was scared why was he scared of school he has gone through worse things?

18. julianagrillo
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 5:28 PM | #

page:26 My question: Why couldn’t Richard’s mother just let him have one piece of chicken after a few spoonfuls of the soup? She could have made things so much easier by only giving him one piece, so then he could be motivated to eat the rest of the soup to get more chicken! I don’t get his mother sometimes!

• claudia cabrera
      Posted September 25, 2011 at 11:06 PM | #

I agree with you because she can be very unfair with Richard but what I didn’t read about was his brother did he eat some chicken? Like is she only being strict with Richard?

• marilynbowen
      Posted October 11, 2011 at 8:58 PM | #

I agree with you juliana. Richards mother see’s how hard it is for her to get food for them and she’s a cook which gives her the perfect opportunity to feed them.

19. juanlandaverde
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 8:46 PM | #

Page 22 Question, so Richard is a kid who gets him self in so much mess but finds an intrest in like school sort of stuff? Like i would think he wouldn’t care about schoolwork or anything like that jus becuase before the author discribed him as a trouble maker and school and trouble makers don’t go to well together.

20. darieldiaz
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 10:25 PM | #

Page:19 Question: How come Richards mom doesn’t sneak some food to them, while she is at work? It seems like a perfect opportunity to feed her kids.

21. kaoutherteurkia
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 11:54 PM | #

Pg.27 and 33-Question: I’m kind of confused as to why Richard’s father always laughs and smiles so much. Does he not see the seriousness and tragedy that his ex-wife and children are going through?

22. javiermartinez1296
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:10 AM | #

Pg.17 and 18-judgement: Is Richard’s mom stupid? Why would she send Richard to get groceries when she knows that those boys are going to beat on him. She even threatened to whip him if he didn’t get the groceries. I think that bad parenting hes too young to be doing things like that.

23. ashlypaquin
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:11 AM | #

An Orange?

• ashlypaquin
      Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:23 AM | #

because you peel it , eat the inside but spit out the seeds ?

• mrsfabian
        Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:47 AM | #

No, but I’ll take it. Pretty good answer. Enjoy the night off.

24. Peter Le
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:13 AM | #

Pg. 18 – Vocabulary : What does the word retaliate mean?
    “…realizing that they would retaliate if i let up for but a second, i fought to lay them low, to knock them cold, to kill them so they could now strike back at me.”

25. laurenreyes
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:22 AM | #

pg#20-21-judgment: Were people that stupid back then that they would buy a six year old boy a beer! So he could repeat what they told him to others for their amusement?! Because if yes, then thats mest up.

26. Jasmine
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:34 AM | #

pg. 23, My question: I wonder how is Richard’s mother going to allow him to go to school , if she doesn’t even have enough money to pay for her kids food ?

• justynemacinnes
      Posted September 26, 2011 at 1:43 AM | #

I agree with Jasmine and it also said that Richards mother wasn’t able to buy him clothes to make him look presentable. Page 24, “My mother had not been able to buy me necessary clothes to make me presentable.”

27. julisamartinez
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 1:32 AM | #

Page 33, My question is what was Richard’s father’s intention on all the laughter when Richard’s mother confronted him about giving them money to feed the kids?

28. christianpena

pg:24 category:question Why is Richard so scared when he got to school?What does he think will possibly happen to him?

• javiermartinez1296
      Posted October 6, 2011 at 12:36 AM | #

He might have been scared because the author states on Pg 25 ” I rose holding my book before my eyes, but I could make no words come from me. I could feel the presence of the strange boys and girls behind me, waiting to hear me read, and fear paralyzed me.” It sounded like he was scared of being judged and he had just started school.

29. anu
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 1:47 AM | #

page 18, my question is what was Richard’s mother doing by sending Richard back and forth? Was she trying to make him a man?

30. brittanybrancato
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 1:52 AM | #

Page 18, Category: Question. How do you think Richard feels towards white people after he hears about the beating and how the white man wasn’t the black boy’s father?

31. michaelnastari
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 2:05 AM | #

page:24 Question: Why does Richard hang out with the older kids, and is this better or worse for him?

32. annamariadargenio
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 2:19 AM | #

On page 18, Category: Question. How did Richard feel about taking a stand and fighting the gang, and also telling the adults he would do the same thing to them as well?

33. marvinmejia
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 3:52 AM | #

Pages 32 and 33 my question is why is Richard’s dad laughing when Richard and his mom are asking for money to pay food, does he (Richard’s dad) find it funny that his own 2 sons are starving?

34. kathytrinh
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 6:52 AM | #

Pg.19,vocabulary; what does the word anatomies

35. davidgarcia123
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:14 PM | #

Pages 32 and 33 who is the strange woman that is laughing with Richard’s dad?

36. kathytrinh

mean

37. shabnamalimi
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 1:01 PM | #

Pg 20 question- Isn’t it illegal for them to force a 6- year- old to drink? This was a very surprising part because you cannot expect a six-year-old to become a drunkard!

38. terryperi
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 7:36 PM | #

Pages 32 and 33 my question is despite his hate toward his father, why didn’t Richard take the nickel? His family needs all the help they can get even if it’s a little

39. nickgingras
    Posted September 27, 2011 at 1:01 AM | #

Question: On pg.31, why did Richard decide to run away? Did he remember how dangerous the streets were, even after the run-in with the kids while heading towards the grocery store?

40. manuellazo
    Posted September 27, 2011 at 1:17 AM | #

Page #22, Judgement: It’s amazing how Richard goes from a six year old drunk to someone who suddenly loves to read and wanted to read a lot.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Skip to toolbar